Monday, November 8, 2010

It always happens...

This past weekend was great. B and I got up super early on Saturday, dropped his car off to get some work done, and took Stella to a birthday party at Build A Bear. While the party was going on, we browsed around the mall, got a bite to eat, just killed some time together... And I think that was the most fun we've had together in months. Crazy! We have been to some great events lately, done lots of family things... And that hour and a half goofing off in the mall was more fun than any of them! Sometimes life gets away from both of us. He works between 75-85 hours a week, and I work about 25-30 and do all the running around with the girls' activities & stuff... Some days we see each other just long enough to spend five minutes together before passing out at night!

Sunday morning, Stella and I dropped B off at work (his car is still being worked on), and we headed to church. (Yay for stopping by Sbux on the way to get kiddie hot choc & venti PSL!) Once I got Stella in her classroom and I got a seat, I started looking through this week's sermon notes. My favorite associate pastor was giving the sermon, and as usual, he really hit it home this week. Our sermon series is called "Lies We Believe", and this week it was all about how we too often base our identities on things we've accomplished, what we do for a living, what people think, etc... When all that we need to do is let God define who we are. We aren't what we did, what we do, or what we are going to do... We are who God says we are. Wow. It was almost an out of body experience. The past few weeks have left me with many questions on my career, whether I really am where I need to be... But I have been struggling with how people would view me if I do something that is "less" than I am doing now. He read this passage to us, and it was like the clouds parted, light was shining down... This was my answer.
"...My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor. Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun."
All the hard work King Solomon did, the kingdom he had, all the "things" in the world... And he realized it didn't matter at all...

He also talked to us about being careful to avoid the "whens" and "thens". For example, "When I get this project done at work, then I'll spend more time with my family" or "When we get a nicer house, then I'll start having small group at our house"... All things I have been struggling with! Another key point was learning to allow our Father to determine our "'do's" and "dont's"... To not overcommit ourselves. To do things because we feel called to do them, because we feel passionately about them... Instead of just feeling like we have to.

I know that was quite the randomness, and I just don't quite know how to fully express it into words... It just really spoke to me. As moms (single or married) we often feel like it's all on our shoulders to take care of the kids, the house, and keep everyone happy. In one way or another, we often feel valued based on what kind of work we do or how clean our house is, how put together we seem... We volunteer for Junior League, PTA, coordinating playgroup, to be the one to sew 20 pilgrim outfits... When seriously... We need to step back and leave things up to Him. I have been struggling SO MUCH with being able to do that lately... And just since Sunday, I've felt like a different person. Just two days have made such a difference.

I hope you all have a great week!

No comments: