Thursday, December 2, 2010

12 Days of Christmas - Days 4-6

Day 4: Tips/Tricks to a Budget Friendly Holiday Season

Like I mentioned in my Day 3 post, I usually carry cash, and always have a list of what you're looking for... I keep mine in my phone, so I can reference it on-the-go. Also, keep your eyes peeled for REALLY good deals on games, candles, etc. that you can put in a "gift closet" for year-round birthday party/hostess/etc. gifts!

Another thing we have done in our family to cut down on costs is all the adults will do a "Secret Santa" gift exchange... We usually set the limit at $40. The kids would still get presents from everyone. Two years ago we cut out the Secret Santa altogether, and just focused on the kids.


Day 5: Favorite Holiday Movie/TV Show Special

Home Alone (the first one!) has got to be my favorite Christmas themed movie... I never really got into the Rudolph/Frosty cartoony specials, and It's A Wonderful Life never did it for me. "KEEVVVIIIIIINNN!!!" Ahh! Love!


Day 6: Gift Ideas

A couple of weeks ago I posted a "Wish List" post, complete with the MK bag that I am dying for. Instead, I'm going to share my favorite gift that I've given to someone else.

When it comes to B, he usually just tells me what he wants me to get him, and that's what he gets. I like to make him something small, too. Something special that comes from the heart, not Banana Republic. Last year we went to the Paul McCartney concert in ATL, and had a great time. It was a really special trip. During the concert, it started raining and we were standing there, holding a poncho over our heads... And Sir Paul started playing "Someday" (our song!). It was a really romantic moment (outside. in the pouring rain. under a poncho. lol.), and so I wanted to give him something to remember that trip. I took a really great shot of the skyline while we were there, so I painted the skyline onto a glass ball Christmas ornament. It turned out very well (much to my surprise- I'm not much of a painter), and he absolutely loved it. He's kinda taken a cue from my little tradition and has started doing something similar on birthdays, etc.

No comments: