Friday, December 3, 2010

12 Days of Christmas: Days 7-9

Day 7: Holiday Craft/DIY (If you don't make anything, what do you WISH you could make?)

I really got into the "crafting" spirit this year. There are SO MANY cute ideas online, and off I went to Hobby Lobby and proceeded to buy the store!


The first thing I started making were mesh wreaths. I LOVE festive wreaths (for any occasion/holiday), yet I'm not really big on evergreen wreaths. I saw this tutorial from Kristen on how to make mesh wreaths, and it really is as easy as it sounds! I'm really pleased with how mine have turned out, and ended up making extras for friends & family!


This next one was a little more time consuming than I'd thought, but it really was easy to do (I've just got an OCD perfectionist problem, lol!). Again, here is the tutorial on how to make them. I used both alligator clips and a pin setting on the back, so it can be multi-functional. I've already given away a bunch of these, and plan on giving more away at Christmas to some of the teenage girls in the family. They're super cute on headbands, or as a great pop of color on a coat!


Every year our extended family gets together for a HUGE Christmas celebration early in December. There are 80+ of us that all meet at my great-aunt's house for a long day of food, fellowship, and catching up with one another! The kids all have a great time running around & playing with their cousins, so I try to shy away from dressing the girls in their fancy Christmas outfits. Been there, done that, and they both ended up covered in mud. No thanks. This year, I decided I would make them some cute, festive shirts to wear with leggings. I don't have an embroidery machine, so I simply used fusible web to applique the letters onto the shirts, then make little ribbon rosettes to add on. I'm still working on the rosettes and I'm going to use green thread to whipstitch around the letters, and hope to have the shirts all finished up by tonight! I'll post pics of those when I get them finished up, but here's how they look as of now. Plain, but potential for major cuteness!


That being said, I am a terrible procrastinator. When I first started these crafts, it was the beginning of November. It took me all month to get things done. In true Sagittarius fashion, I have issues with getting these great ideas and being all gung-ho about them... Then being kind of over it. All of these things were made with serious amounts of PSL's and Diet Coke.


Day 8: Least Favorite Thing About the Holidays
STRESS. Money stress, family stress, house stress... It seems everywhere you turn, it's always something trying to get you down! Of course, traffic is always a bummer. We have a fairly busy mall not too far from our house, and it seems that we have to pass it to get anywhere (Kroger, church, school...) so I'm definitely over the road rage once the holidays get here! Another thing that really bothers me is when people get so caught up in the commercialized part of the holiday, and forget the real reason we are celebrating! I see so many little kids who don't have a clue what Christmas really means. It breaks my heart, and makes me so sad for those who don't have Jesus in their hearts.


Day 9: Favorite Holiday Recipe

Recipes in our house are kind of hard to duplicate. I don't think my Nana has ever even used a measuring cup before in her life. We all have learned to duplicate her recipes by cooking with her, and all we have ever written down is the list of ingredients! I did find this recipe for chocolate pecan pie last year, via the lovely Grits, and every single person in my family loved it. Even B thought it was great, and he's a Yankee who doesn't really get into the whole Southern food/dessert thing. (I, personally, think he's insane.) Anyhow, I will most definitely be making chocolate pecan pie again this year!

No comments: