Monday, March 7, 2011

Venting.

My blog is my blog. It's where I write about things that are on my mind, that happen throughout my day... It's where I share my thoughts, happy or sad, joyous or angry. I'm all about feedback, especially when it comes to stuff like the following, simply because I know I don't have all the answers. If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE email me or comment. I'll take all the advice I can get.

Savanah goes to her Dad's every other weekend. I HATE it, but always have a smile on my face and talk to her like it's the coolest thing ever that she gets to go over there. Her Dad is rarely home, and he lives with his parents, so her weekends out there are basically spent with them. She's their only grandchild, and has little to no discipline while she's out there. (Let me interject a little- I expect good behavior. I know kids will be kids, but there is never an excuse for disprespect/talking back/etc. I don't tolerate it at. all.) Due to some scheduling conflicts, we changed the visitation up a little the past two months, and she spent 3 weekends at home, then 3 out there. Consistently for the past three weeks, it takes a good two days of constantly having to remind her to use her manners, quit talking back... Things that I know she knows to do, but after 3 days of free reign, she forgets to practice. She comes home and is hostile with Stella... Like she doesn't have a sister at all. That tears me up. They have always been so close (and I know as they grow up it's likely they'll grow apart some), but it stems from getting whatever she wants, whenever she wants it, with no regard to anyone but herself. It's started affecting her conduct grades at school, and that makes me positively LIVID. It's one thing if she acts up at home, but acting up at school?! No ma'am. Not okay.

There is little to no communication between her Dad and I, and it's not for lack of trying. I get little to no support on anything I bring to his attention, and it is so frustrating. I want my happy-go-lucky, kind, polite kid back. B and I do our best to be as consistent as possible with both girls... But despite our best efforts, nothing has been working lately. It's so frustrating and discouraging. It's so much easier to just let kids do/say whatever they want. Parenting is HARD... But if you're not going to actually parent your children, what good are you doing them at all?

No comments: