Monday, January 20, 2014

Movin' on up...

Sooo.. I may or may not have mentioned this, but... We are moving!!! 

I am so, so excited to finally get all of "my people" under one roof! B and I decided back in November that we should start looking for a house after the beginning of the year. I'm hoping to be completely moved in by the end of February, which will be here before I know it. I have zero interest in owning a home right now for many reasons (don't want to commit to an area, don't want the responsibility of upkeep, etc.), so we have spent the past few weeks looking for a rental that meets his our needs. 

Do you know how difficult it is to find a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home with a garage (that we can afford) in East Memphis?! 

This may be the first thing I've ever wanted to wring his neck for, but I know he is right, and 3 females + 1 very clean man / 1 bathroom = A VERY BAD IDEA. We have actually found a couple that fit the bill... But I am too scared to pull the trigger. (Not sure what this says about me as a person, but whatever.) It's hard to have to make trade-offs for the home you will be living in for a YEAR OF YOUR LIFE. 

Take, for instance, the one closest to the girls' school. Perfect area, over 1600 sq. feet, nice curb appeal, has a big window in the front for where the Christmas tree will go, sidewalks for my evening runs (HA!). Unfortunately, that all comes with powder blue walls in the dining/living rooms, pea green walls in the den, a darker pea green on the walls in the kitchen, and a huge ass yard that someone will have to mow. (Ahem, that won't be me.)

Then there's the more Midtown-y home. Area is not as ideal, but I still love it & would feel safe there. House is small, only around 1100 sq. feet (no living/dining room, just an eat-in kitchen & a den.) The washer & dryer are in the kitchen, which I don't like. BUT! The bedrooms are a decent size. The master closet has tons of shelving & hanging bars. There is a freakin' wet bar in the master bedroom (totally weird, and I cannot help but wonder... Were the original owners hosting bedroom parties?!) The outside of the home has the perfect Midtown charm, the yard is a manageable size, and it is walking distance from Overton Square (no DUI's for these folks!)

So, the search continues. In the meantime, I will be purging (and purging, and purging) my millions of dollars' worth of clothes that tend to find a home on the floor of my closet and don't get worn for years at a time. (It's so much easier to go shopping than do laundry, amiright?!?)

No comments: